Sunday 26 April 2009

Entering the fray...

There are many things I intend to do or have intended to do. Some blossom from good ideas into real substance and purpose, others lose their way and become a forgotten good idea. My intention to establish a blog has, for some time, been a member of the latter, a good idea that somehow spent its life on the "too hard pile". Not too hard because of any technical difficulties, technical complexity is my forte (as the blog, I hope, will reveal); more because of time, distractions, commitments and host of other equally feeble excuses.

With that behind me I feel it's time to enter the fray and establish my own blog. Its purpose, structure and objectives are, at this point, a little shall we say embryonic. However I'm sure it will take shape nicely over time. I feel I have lots of information, perhaps even some knowledge and, dare I say, occasional expertise to share so here goes.

I have spent 25 years in the telecommunications business and for much of that at the forefront of new technology developments. I'm an electronics engineer by qualification but have enjoyed a significant period of my career in the development of industrial software. I'm now a kind of technology evangelist I guess. The time I've spent in the industry has enabled me to sample, study and pursue many diverse aspects of the technology multiverse we live in today. To that end, I aim to talk about some of those subjects and developments I feel may have the most impact on our lives.


I'm a big supporter of the Open Source software development initiative. I'm an even bigger supporter of the drive to make the Linux operating system mainstream and suitable for all. I'm a keen and reasonably skilled photographer and have enjoyed many years experience working with digital photographic techniques, post processing and equipment. I'm London based, a sports fan, I soak up news and current affairs like a sponge and have an unhealthy yet unbreakable addiction to Indian food. All that to say, this could be a varied mix of well structured and thoughtful observation or a ragged depository for the unintelligible ramblings of a narcissistic forty something, who knows...

2 comments:

  1. From the Fray...
    Welcome to it :)

    Intelliegent, readable ramblings are always a joy and if they promise to sometimes inform, all the better. It took me ages too to get around to Blogging - I only did at a result of following each step to setting up Twitter! Somehow a Blog emerged at the end of all my wild clicking and I found myself in the blogosphere wondering what to say.

    No plan for me really, I just share things I find that seem relevant to truth and the pursuit of happiness, as well as shouting at the sky from time to time.

    For me, all this technology and communication feels like it has yet to find its shape and that, is a great thing. So long as 'we the people' can play and influence it, I trust it will evolve into a something we may look back on with wonder one day.

    Lovely to read you...
    Namaste,
    Tina Louise

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for your support - Ian

    ReplyDelete